Categories: International and Comparative Law
Past Grade Distributions
The objectives of the course: To provide an understanding of the role of international law and its applicability to climate change within a framework of sustainable development; to provide knowledge of existing international mechanisms and law applicable to global climate change; to provide an understanding of the relationship between climate change and human rights; to discuss the impact on other areas such as economic development, poverty, socio-economic rights and the role of sustainable development.
Upon completion of this course, the students would have acquired:
• An understanding of the relationship between environmental degradation, climate change and human rights;
• An understanding of the pros and cons of using a human rights approach to climate change;
• Knowledge of the relevant international law principles and mechanisms applicable to global climate change;
• Knowledge of how a claim under international human rights law can be brought for damage caused by environmental issues in general and climate change in particular; and
• An understanding of the linkages with other areas such as economic development, poverty, socio-economic rights, and sustainable development.